New Treatment Methods for an Ancient Problem - Flatulence
In many cultures, the act of passing gas, or flatulence, is frowned upon and regarded as embarrassing. Most adults will fight to hold it in, or move to a "safe" area where they can release the gas with less risk of being caught. In other circumstances, it is a source of humor, such as the "pull my finger" joke. The root of the flatulence is from the Latin word flatus, "blowing or breaking wind".
No matter what you choose to call it, flatulence is a normal human function. It is the result of intestinal gasses produced as a byproduct of bacterial fermentation in the GI tract, concentrated typically in the colon. Unfortunately, many times flatulence is associated with pain accompanied with bloating, excessive flatus odor, an excessive amount of flatus, and http://howtostopfarting.co/probiotics-answer-flatulence-problems/ gas incontinence. Flatus is the medical term for gas.
Flatus is composed of 99% non-odorous gasses including oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, methane, and hydrogen. The other 1% is what gives flatus its odor. For many people, the odor sometimes produced is more offending or embarrassing then the act of flatulence itself. The offending gasses are hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan (methanethiol) and dimethyl sulfide. A diet high protein especially in the form of sulfur-containing amino acids, greatly enhances the odor of flatus. The odor associated with flatus can also be affected by high concentrations of microflora bacteria.
Foods typically associated with an increased amount of flatulence combined with offensive odor include, but not limited to, the following: beans, dairy product, lentils, garlic, onions, radishes, leeks, turnips, cashews, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. Despite flatulence being a normal bodily function, many people are concerned with howtostopfarting or at least, curtail it. One area receiving a lot of research is that of probiotics for gas. Individuals with especially odoriferous gas suffer from inadequate carbohydrate digestion and an out-of-balance intestinal flora.
Few researchers are specifically doing research on flatulence per se. They are, however, doing research into the causes of GI diseases and GI complaints such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Flatulence and gas production are measurable parameters in the studies, thereby as a side benefit, the studies are providing insight into the type of products that may be helpful in reducing flatulence.
Studies indicate that probiotics for gas pain reduce the occurrence of flatulence when used to restore the balance of intestinal flora. Probiotics such as live yogurt, contains Lactobacillus plantarum that has proved extremely effective in reducing flatulence and improving gas symptoms. When shopping for probiotics treatment for gas, note that not all yogurts contain live probiotics so make sure they are labeled as such.
Other sources of probiotics are Prescript-Assist and Probinul. Prescript-Assist is a formula consisting of 29 bacterial species, that are soil-based instead of lactic acid-based. Soil-based bacteria are able to survive in the open environment and hardier than lactic acid bacteria. Prescipt-Assist is available online via Amazon. Probinul is an Italian made product that contains 9 probiotic lactic acid-based strains, plus an added prebiotic.